#UNIGNORABLE issue of Poverty: Homelessness
The combination of high housing prices, surging rental rates and record low vacancies has created a crisis for those looking for shelter. United Way Thunder Bay’s funding provides a range of supports to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness as well as to help people transition to or maintain housing.
Basic Needs Kits are always in high-demand and is one of the biggest needs of our agency partners, especially in this time of crisis. Create kits that have supplies that can last for at least a month so people in need have what they need to maintain good hygiene.
- Shampoo & Conditioner or Shampoo 2-in-1
- Body wash
- Hand wipes or sanitizer
- Comb or brush
- Feminine hygiene products
- Collect items in plastic Ziploc bags
- Get creative and write an encouraging note with your own personal greeting. Example ‘Thinking of you’ or ‘Share some of your kindness today too’
- Take a picture of your completed kits and SHARE it on our United Way social uwaytbay.ca media pages @uwaytbay with the hashtag #localloveinaction #sylld
Kits can be dropped off at our local United Way office. We will ensure they get to local food banks and service providers where they will be disbursed to community members in need. Kits can also be built at our office with your team during Show Your Local Love Day week! (Safety protocols in place)
Drop off assembled Basic Needs Kits on September 14th – 17th from 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM at 715 Hewitson St #1006, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6B5